Sort by: Time · Process · Topic
- Information Fostering: Proactively Supporting Information Seeking. University of Tampere, Finland. October 21, 2016.
- Information Fostering: Proactively Complementing Information Seeking. Guest lecture in PhD 610 (Seminar in Information Science). Rutgers University. October 13, 2016.
- Social Information Seeking: Leveraging the Wisdom of the Crowd. Ryerson University. July 29, 2016.
- Information Fostering: Proactively Complementing Information Seeking. GESIS in Cologne, Germany. June 30, 2016.
- Social and Collaborative Information Seeking: Bringing Synergy in Search. GESIS in Cologne, Germany. June 28, 2016.
- Social Information Seeking: Leveraging the Wisdom of the Crowd. IRIT in Toulouse, France. June 16, 2016.
- Information Fostering: Being Proactive in Information Seeking. University of Texas at Austin. March 4, 2016.
- Building a parsimonious model for identifying best answers using interaction history in community Q&A. ASIST 2015. St. Louis, MO. November 9, 2015.
- Social and Collaborative Information Seeking: State of the Union. Keynote at the workshop on Evaluation in Collaborative Information Seeking and Retrieval (ECol) at ACM CIKM 2015 conference. Melbourne, Australia. October 23, 2015.
- Minority Report for Information Seeking: Fixing Things Before They Break in Search. University Technology at Sydney, Australia. October 21, 2015.
- Seeking information in online environments - Where, who, and why? iConference 2015. Newport Beach, CA. March 27, 2015.
- Algorithmic Mediation for Collaborative Search. University of Santiago, Chile. August 14, 2015.
- Synergy in Search: Pushing the Boundaries of Information Seeking with Collaboration. Google. Mountain View, CA. July 21, 2015.
- Synergy in Search: Pushing the Boundaries of Information Seeking with Collaboration. University of Maryland. July 14, 2015.
- Be together, but not the same: Leveraging the power of social and community connections for information seeking. The Center for Dynamic Data Analytics (CDDA). November 5, 2014.
- Questioning the question - Addressing the answerability of questions in community question-answering. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS). Wikoloa, HI. January 9, 2014.
- Distributed Searching, United Searchers: Investigating Social and Collaborative Aspects of Information Seeking. Google New York. March 19, 2014.
- The Next step: Adding social and collaborative dimensions to search. Yahoo! New York. July 14, 2014.
- Explore globally, collect locally: Social media data harvesting with ContextMiner. Symposium on Big Data in Public Health. Annenberg School of Communication, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, March 19, 2013.
- A proposal for user-focused evaluation and prediction of information seeking process. Position paper presentation at EuroHCIR Workshop at the ACM SIGIR Conference. Dublin, Ireland. August 1, 2013.
- Distributed searching, united searchers: Investigating social and collaborative aspects of information seeking. University of London, UK. August 6, 2013.
- Communicating for connecting: From telephone to Twitter. Meadow Lakes Retirement Community, Hightstown, NJ. December 16, 2013.
- Modalities, motivations, and materials: Investigating traditional and social online q&a services. ALISE 2012 Conference. Dallas, TX: January 18, 2012.
- Distributed searching, united searchers: Investigating social and collaborative aspects of information seeking. Yandex, Moscow, Russia: August 3, 2012.
- Online Question-Answering: Virtual Referencing to Social Q&A and Back. Scholarly & Professional Activity Committee (SAPAC) Brown Bag Talk. Alexander Library, Rutgers: March 24, 2011.
- Social q&a: Questions of the people, answers by the people, information for the people. SC&I Alumni Association Dinner talk. New Brunswick, NJ: May 12, 2011.
- Collaborative information seeking: The art and science of making the whole greater than the sum of all. Microsoft Research. Redmond, WA: May 18, 2011.
- Seeking synergy in information seeking. Guest lecture in CS672: Recommendation and Search Engines. Dept. of CS, Rutgers: October 28, 2011.
- Online question-answering: Virtual referencing to social q&a and back. Web-based talk to ASIST Student Chapter at University of Alabama: November 10, 2011.
- Working in Collaboration - What, Why, and How? Collaborative Information Retrieval workshop at CSCW 2010. Savannah, GA: February 7, 2010.
- Exploring Information Seeking Processes in Collaborative Search Tasks. LIS Lunch Talk. SC&I, Rutgers: October 18, 2010.
- Exploring Information Seeking Processes in Collaborative Search Tasks. ASIST 2010. Pittsburgh, PA: October 26, 2010.
- Supporting research data collection from YouTube with TubeKit. At YouTube and the 2008 Election Cycle in the United States Conference. April 16, 2009. Amherst, MA. (3rd prize) [Talk]
- A story of context-capturing and cross-country coding. University of Wisconsin at Madison. August 12, 2009.
- System-mediated and user-mediated collaborative information seeking (CIS) Microsoft Research Cambridge, UK. August 19, 2009.
- System-mediated and user-mediated collaborative information seeking (CIS. University of Sheffield, UK. August 21, 2009. [Abstract]
- Toward a model for collaborative information seeking, synthesis, and sense-making. University of Maryland. October 13, 2009.
- Toward a model for collaborative information seeking, synthesis, and sense-making. Pennsylvania State University. October 12, 2009.
- Awareness in collaborative information seeking. School of Library and Information Science (SILS) Research Symposium, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, October 30, 2009
- The same, yet different comparing studies of "raditional" digital reference and social q&a. Presentation with Sanghee Oh on ASIST 2009 Panel on Opportunities, Threats, & Theoretical Approaches: Research in Traditional and Social Virtual Reference Quality (SIG HCI). Vancouver, BC, Canada. November 9, 2009.
- Cashing on the wisdom of crowds for question answering. ASIST 2009 Panel on Social Reference and Digital Reference: Online Question Answering Practices in Two Diverse Communities (SIGs SI, BWP, USE). Vancouver, BC, Canada. November 10, 2009.
- Beyond Google: A quest to understand information seeking across time and people. CRADLE Talk. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, December 4, 2009.
- From searching to exploring, from finding to understanding, and from seeing to visualizing the information. University Research Day Poster (2nd prize winner). University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, March 4, 2008.
- We, the people on YouTube: Understanding democracy of, by, and for the online media sharing. University Research Day Talk. University of North Caraolina, Chapel Hill, NC, March 4, 2008.
- Collaborative information retrieval: All for one and one for all. INLS 200 guest lecture. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, March 24, 2008.
- Collaborative information seeking: An art of making 1+1>2. INLS 490 guest lecture. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, April 21, 2008.
- Understanding system implementation and user behavior in a collaborative information seeking environment. JCDL 2008 Doctoral Consortium. Pittsburgh, PA. June 16, 2008.
- Understanding system implementation and user behavior in a collaborative information seeking environment SIGIR 2008 Doctoral Consortium. Singapore. July 20, 2008.
- Collaborative information seeking: Cashing on the wisdom of crowd. School of Computer Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia. Penang, Malaysia. July 30, 2008.
- Collaborative information seeking: Counting on the wisdom of crowd. INLS 200 guest lecture. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, October 23, 2008.
- Hunting for hip, Hipsters, and happenings on YouTube. ASIST 2008 presentation. Columbus, OH. October 27, 2008.
- Republic of web: A web of, by, and for the people. CRADLE talk. UNC Chapel Hill. November 14, 2008. [Slides in PDF]
- Digital museums and user interaction. With Amy Morgan and Stephanie Adamson in Human Information Interaction class. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, April 24, 2007
- Mining contextual Information for ephemeral digital video Ppeservation: A Beginning. Research Issues and Questions Seminar. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, April 24, 2007.
- Two is a company: A step toward building a Collaborative Exploratory Search (CES) environment. WHIP Talk at FXPAL, CA. June 6, 2007.
- Preserving 2008 US Presidential election videos. International Web Archiving Workshop (IWAW) 2007. Vancouver, BC, Canada. June 23, 2007. [Slides in PDF]
- Collaborative exploratory search (CES) - A beginning. Summer Interns Presentation at FXPAL, CA. August 7, 2007.
- Finding connectors, mavens, and salesmen on YouTube. Yahoo! Research Berkeley, CA. August 10, 2007.
- Hunting for hip, hipsters, and happenings on YouTube - A ContextMiner story. CRADLE Talk. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, September 21, 2007. [Slides in PDF]
- Story link detection (SLD) using named entity graphs. Northeastern University, Boston, MA, January 6, 2006.
- Using named entities based representation for story link detection (SLD). University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, May 5, 2006.
- Use of topicality and information measures to improve representation for story link detection (SLD). National Institute of Informatics (NII), Tokyo, Japan. August 16, 2006.
- Topic linking with blogs - TREC 2006 Blog Track: Open Task. TREC 2006 at NIST. November 14, 2006.
- Relevance revisited. Research Issues & Questions Seminar. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, November 21, 2006.
- Investigating the effects of faceted interfaces - Research proposal. Human Computer Interaction (HCI) Seminar. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, December 14, 2006.
- Model selection in unsupervised tracking. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, January 6, 2005.
- A formal study of terminological feedback. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, January 13, 2005.
- Building plans for household tasks from distributed knowledge. Honda Research Institute (HRI), Mountain View, CA. August 13, 2004.
- Evaluating high accuracy retrieval techniques. SIGIR 2004. Sheffield, UK. July 2004.